From St. John’s Newfoundland
Well the cars have rolled across the finish line and the 2013 Targa Newfoundland race has come to a close. The champaign bottles have been popped open and amply poured all over the three winning Hume teams.
Despite John Sr and Justin Crant’s nasty meeting with the tree and fence last Sunday, the team as a whole wound up raking in the lion’s share of awards this Saturday at the closing ceremony and banquet.
1) Sadly John Sr.and Justin Crant won the Puffin Award for first car wreck of the race. A dubious honor to carry around for the next year to be sure.
2) John Jr and Ron Bartleet won a silver plate for making all their targa times.
3) John Jr and Ron Bartleet also placed 2nd in the modern division and 2nd overall in the Targa division.
4) Craig and Justin Russell finished 2nd overall on GT
5) Jon and Briar finished 1st overall in GT.
6) Despite our BMW 335is being destroyed in the prologue, our 3 car team of BMWs placed the highest overall in a manufacturer (driving BMWs), so we won the Kenzie Cup
7) We entered our three winning cars as a 3 car team before the race started, and so won the Jerry Churchill Team Award.
8) Justin Crant, now not able to race in the ruined 335is, moved on to the critical job of service crew for our 2nd place M3. And he assisted other competitors who needed service help. He was so good at it, (without him the M3 we discovered, surely would have had a catastrophic suspension failure during a race). Justin won the Best Service Crew award.
So despite ruining one fine automobile, we still managed to win 8 awards.
Anyone interested in buying a 2011 BMW 335is – As Is – contact John Hume.
And heart felt thanks to our film and service crew members. Michael Engel, Calvin Williams and Rein Raamat. They took excellent care of the racing crews, shot some incredible film, wrote some great script and uploaded to you tube daily. An almost impossible feat.
Check out www.targanewfoundlandnews.com and you will see for yourself.
That is it from Targa 2013
But wait, I do believe we raised $24,000 for MS research doing this race
Thank you again all donors and supporters. You are the best.
Until Next Year…….